Friday, July 22, 2011

Washington Man Takes Notice of DLDGLG

I am man, hear me roar.

If today's your first day, it may surprise you to know that gentlemen are big fans of booze. So naturally, Washington Man, an independent capital area online magazine for chaps, kindly recommended DLDGLG to its readers this week.

Today, I compiled a list of notable quotes made by famous blokes (or commonly attributed to them) about alcohol. And they've been arranged by their approximate time period.

(Did I miss a good one? Share a quote in the comments below.)

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water."
- Galileo Galilei


"Better belly burst than good liquor be lost."
- Jonathan Swift


"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
- commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin


"Bring in the bottled lightning, a clean tumbler, and a corkscrew."
- Charles Dickens


"Bacchus has drowned more men than Neptune."
- Giuseppe Garibaldi

"Wine is bottled poetry."
- Robert Louis Stevenson


"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
- Oscar Wilde


"The worst thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober."
- William Butler Yeats


"A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her."
- W.C. Fields

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."
- W.C. Fields

“A horrid alcoholic explosion scatters all my good intentions like bits of limbs and clothes over the doorsteps and into the saloon bars of the tawdriest pubs”
- Dylan Thomas


"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
- Winston Churchill


"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
- Winston Churchill


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
- Ernest Hemingway


"Don't you drink? I notice you speak slightingly of the bottle. I have drunk since I was fifteen and few things have given me more pleasure. When you work hard all day with your head and know you must work again the next day what else can change your ideas and make them run on a different plane like whisky? When you are cold and wet what else can warm you? Before an attack who can say anything that gives you the momentary well-being that rum does? The only time it isn't good for you is when you write or when you fight. You have to do that cold. But it always helps my shooting. Modern life, too, is often a mechanical oppression and liquor is the only mechanical relief."
- Ernest Hemingway


"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
- Frank Sinatra


"I'll stick with gin.  Champagne is just ginger ale that knows somebody."
- Hawkeye, M*A*S*H 1973


"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline -- it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER."
- Frank Zappa


“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
- Hunter S Thompson


"If you are young and you drink a great deal it will spoil your health, slow your mind, make you fat - in other words, turn you into an adult."
- P.J. O'Rourke


"Alcoholism is the only disease that you can get yelled at for having."
- Mitch Hedberg


"Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problems."
- Homer Simpson


Visit WM often and keep an eye out for DLDGLG content in its continuing coverage of the exclusive interests of dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment