Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"I always loved the outsiderness of the restaurant world."

Chef Sara Jenkins of Porchetta and Porsena in New York writes an interesting article in The Atlantic. This piece provides not only an interesting window into the life of someone working in the restaurant industry (albeit successfully) but also touches on a perspective that I think Anthony Bourdain was partly trying to convey. 

My favorite and most revealing quote about the industry:
"We work long hours trying to give people a joyful experience, and afterward we want to relax and unwind. But it's 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, and the only people still up with energy are our co-workers. We dissect the night over a couple bottles of wine in the restaurant or in another bar. We argue about the weirdo at table 53, discuss whether or not the kitchen could have timed things better, and fret about what we could have done differently."
And here's the quote I think Bourdain in particular would appreciate:
"But I want to experience a normal social life as well. I am no longer so enamored by the outsiderness of it all. I want to be inside too."

No comments:

Post a Comment