Thursday, July 8, 2010

"It's a Long Way to Tipperary..."

Unlike many of the more renowned mixologists that I read about or are acquainted with I haven't studied the holy books.  I've never read the volumes authored by these legendary bar chefs before the Volstead Act (or those great ones after).  I was exposed but only by promotional corporate cocktails: the margajito, the "big apple"-tini, the low. carb. margarita. 


My education has come from less traditionally academic mixologist realms.  In other words... thank god for the Internet.

I discovered the cocktail for this blog post at Cocktails With M.  I visit from time to time.  It's called Tipperary and its name lays claim, from what I can tell, to Irish sensibilities by its Irish whiskey ingredient (it's other ingredients are French and Italian).  Its name, Tipperary, is a town in Ireland which became the topic of a popular WWI marching song

I love whiskey and have become a recent Chartreuse enthusiast, so I decided to give it a go.

Tipperary

- 2 oz of Jameson Irish whiskey
- 3/4 oz of sweet vermouth
- 1/2 oz of green Chartreuse
- a lemon

Glassware: cocktail glass

Combine ingredients into a mixing glass.


Add ice and stir until cold.


Pour mixture into glass.


Garnish with a lemon twist.


Enjoy.

It's a hearty drink.  Once past the introduction, there's a layer of zesty flavor that leaps up with the Chartreuse flavor.  For a first attempt, I was very satisfied with what I had done.

No comments:

Post a Comment